School Nurse - Work location: Midland, PA
DEPARTMENT: Nurse and Pupil Health
JOB TITLE: School Nurse
REPORTS TO: Nurse Supervisor
Expires: Until Filled
The Certified School Nurse must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. This person must possess excellent organization and time management skills and be able to complete annual state reports prior to due date, business correspondence and effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of students, parents, and staff. The School Nurse must keep parents/staff informed of changes in immunization requirements according to Pennsylvania Department of Health, track students to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, health screenings, physical & dental examinations, and medical conditions. This person must use clinical knowledge and judgment to provide nursing services, first aid, or emergency care to students and staff.
- Active and Valid Pennsylvania License as a Registered Nurse.
- Experience with school systems is preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Active and Valid PA School Nurse Certification
- Current First Aid/CPR training
Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Child Abuse Clearance; Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check; Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Clearance
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain confidential student health records.
- Complete first aid and CPR instructor level training within the first year of employment and renew as required to maintain active status.
- Conduct annual health screenings on students.
- Review student health records upon enrollment including immunization status and chronic conditions.
- Provide first aid to students and staff as necessary.
- Educate students and staff in safety and wellness and promote good safety and health practices in the school.
- Ensure that reports required by the school district; PA Department of Health, Division of School Health; and PA Department of Education are properly prepared and forwarded.
- Attend workshops/seminars to keep current on school health issues and requirements.
- Establish health care plans for students with special health care needs, including but not limited to individual health plans and emergency health plans, update them as needed, and provide them to teachers and other staff as may be necessary.
- Record immunizations, health findings, and other relevant health data
- Provide students and guardians with referral information along with available community resources to improve access to healthcare.
- Understand and maintain compliance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies as well as school policies.
- Administers medications and performs procedures according to physician orders and ensures physician orders for individual student medications and/or treatments comply with requirements for administration.
- Be flexible and accommodating to changes.
- Ability to travel regionally (overnight travel may be required).
- Perform any additional duties deemed necessary by the Nurse Supervisor.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the position, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Additional duties may be assigned, as necessary.